Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Little Health Update

I went to the doctor yesterday for a follow up on my thyroid. He did an ultrasound to measure my 9 thyroid nodules and see if they are growing. The good new is that the solid portions of the nodules have grown very little. The bad news is that they are beginning to accumulate fluid. He gave me the choice of draining them. But, since they are aren't bothering me too much I decided against that. Ouch! He said there is a chance that I will wake up one morning very uncomfortable and at that point I can come in and drain them. I'm hoping they will hold off until I decide to have the surgery. He upped the dosage of the thyroid medication I am taking to try to help reduce their growth. He said as long as I come back in 3 months to check on them again, I can hold off on surgery. So, I've decided to wait another 3 months. He is a very kind doctor and was very patient with me as I told him how frustrated I am with my weight. I cried. I have been exercising and watching my diet and not having results. It is a frustrating thing after having lost so much weight. Then he said one of those annoying things to me which I know is true, but a chubby person doesn't want to hear. He told me that a heavy person with good habits is healthier than a skinny person with bad habits. He told me to continue making healthy choices so that I can continue to improve my health. I nodded my head and quietly cried. I don't want to be a heavy person with healthy habits. But, I am continuing to make good choices and hoping that they will start to pay off. He also started me on a high dose of once a week vitamin D. It can affect energy and weight loss as well.  So, I remind myself that my value is not measured in pounds. I remind myself that I am so incredibly blessed and loved. I remind myself of the wonderful blessing my physical body is and how spectacular it's abilities are.  I will continue to make good choices and hope that at some point my body will respond. Then I ask myself why I am sharing this with the world? I don't know exactly. I know that we all have struggles. They all come in different ways, but if we share them together maybe they will be just a little bit easier.

We have lots of school work today, swim practice, and Gunnar's t-ball game. It's sure to be a happy day!

2 comments:

aprilaleman said...

Know you are not the only person who struggles and sometimes it's nice to know others feel like you. I appreciate your honesty and wish I could be more candid.

aprilaleman said...

P.S. I still think you look good!