Sunday, July 15, 2012

I'm leaving on a jet plane

I'm leaving on a jet plane. I'm doing laundry and packing. I've researched all the new security requirements. I haven't flown on a plane since before September 11th. I'm nervous about going through security. I have all my 3oz liquid containers in my 1 quart zip lock baggie. That's not a lot of liquid!!!

About a month ago we were walking through IKEA. We love to walk through and window shop. I checked my phone as we were walking and looking and noticed an email. I took the kids to a field trip a few months ago to the state capitol. It was a school organized field trip through an organization called AZ Parents for education.  The group is part of a national organization called the National Coalition for Public School Options.  The coalition supports charter, magnet, and on-line schools. The email was from the AZ Parents for education.  They were offering to sponsor 3 parent leaders to attend the NCPSO's conference in Washington D.C. I thought that sounded like fun. So, as we walked I responded to the email. I told them about how I home school my four children. How each of my children benefit from the program in different ways because they have different needs and each is met individually. I told them about how I am an on-line learner myself worker towards my bachelor's degree. I told them how much I enjoy being a stay at home mom who educates my kiddos with on-line schooling. How thankful I am for the government funded program that provides us with a great learning environment.

About an hour later, while we were still in IKEA I received a response. I was chosen. Or maybe I was just the first to respond. :) What a crazy day. Just like that I was going on a trip to Washington D.C. I was so excited and nervous. I have never traveled alone. Never flown alone. Never stayed in a hotel alone. I contacted the other parents going to see if they wanted to share a taxi and grab dinner before our reception the first night. I'm a little relieved they responded  and maybe I'll have a friend. I received our schedule.  It is so busy. Speakers and forums. A meeting on capitol hill with legislators. A moonlight tour of the Washington Monuments. I'm so excited and so nervous.

I'm grateful for an opportunity to participate in something that I believe in. I'm excited to learn more about what I can do as a parent.  I'm excited to go to a city that I've never been to before and participate in grown up things. I've been a stay at home mom for 10 1/2 years. I haven't gone away except for girls camp in all of that time. I'm excited and nervous. I'm going to miss my little family terribly. I love you my little family! I love you so much I can feel it palpitate inside me. I'm going to miss you!!! It makes me tear up just thinking about it.  But, I will be home before we all know it. Maybe more opportunities will come from it. Maybe I'll have a great time.

Sometimes life throws up crazy things that we don't expect at all. Sometimes they are really amazing. I'm so thankful for my crazy happy life.

No comments: