Thursday, August 9, 2012

School at Home, a trial and a blessing

I know that home schooling isn't for everyone. Lots of people don't understand why we do it and have strong opinions on the matter. 
The truth is our first 2 days of home schooling have been brutal. I don't think that's how my kiddos would describe it. They've done great and been happy and so good for me. It is really difficult for me though. First day took us nearly 10 hours. When Dwight left for work in the morning we were in the school room and when he came home that evening we were still in the school room. The kids all got breaks of course, but I am always working with someone. I even ate my lunch in the school room, so I could prep while they had lunch. It was crazy. Today, we took about 7 hours. So, that was an improvement. I think there is a learning curve and I'm hoping to shorten our day to 6 hours. Gracie works almost completely independently. She really just asks for help with math sometimes. Then about 2 hours each for the other kiddos. I think Savannah will become more independent shortly but the boys will continue to need me for a long while to come. :) At one point today I text Dwight and told him that I couldn't do it. He text me back and asked me if I wanted to rethink my decision. He is so supportive of me. :) I feel good about what we are doing though. I can't count on both hands how many times my Bear told me he loved me or asked me for a "kissy" during the school day. While I was making lunch he asked me, "Do you want a kissy mommy?" then a little pause, "Of course you do!" And he gave me a sweet kiss. He will definitely never have a teacher who loves him as much as I do. I'm hoping to find our groove though. 


I love taking pictures of my kiddos 4 kids in a  hotel bed. They like to line up by age. They are the sweetest kiddos ever! I have a happy life and I'm so thankful for the opportunity that I have to school them at home. I am confident it will get better. 

No comments: